This is a very exciting episode for me because I had the pleasure of interviewing my father, Bob Verbarg, about what we’ve both learned about the college admissions and college search process after producing 44 episodes of The College Checklist Podcast together.
In addition to taking care of the finances for Higher Scores Test Prep, Pops also helps me edit the podcasts. He takes extensive notes that then become the show notes (like the one you’re reading now).
Part overview of past 44 episodes, part trip down memory lane, this episode is an honest discussion about some of the terrible choices we made when I was applying to college and a helpful overview of the most informative episodes of the podcast so far.
We hope you enjoy it!
Listen Now: Learn from Our College Admissions Mistakes
Never Miss An Episode
Subscribing to the show is the easiest way to ensure that you won’t miss any of the great information our guests share! Subscribing is easy!
Click either of the buttons below to subscribe to The College Checklist Podcast on iTunes or Google Play. Or type “The College Checklist” directly into whichever app you use to listen to podcasts and hit the subscribe button!
About Bob Verbarg
Bob retired in 2008 after 33 years in senior management positions with a national payroll processing firm. The family moved 7 times during that period and he is ever grateful to Francine and his children for their willingness to cheerfully relocate so often.
Bob always enjoyed sports, particularly golf and tennis, but after a 2010 MS diagnosis he’s been sidelined. He now puts his time and energy into Team Bobby V, raising money for Progressive MS research. He is very proud of Lauren for her dedication to her students’ success and for her entrepreneurial spirit in starting Higher Scores Test Prep.
Past Podcast Rundown
- For an overview of the college admissions process, listen to Episode 2 with Jeannie Borin.
- For help with college visits, check out Episode 34 with Jessica Velasco.
- Don’t know how to find the right college? Try Episode 7 with Evelyn Alexander.
- Need help figuring out what kind of college environment is right for you? Don’t know what career would be a good fit? Learn about the Birkman Method with Arlene Kaplan.
- Parents – need a little help and stress-relieving humor? You must check out Wendy David-Gaines’s advice in Episode 23.
- Curious to know about Gap Year programs? Find out more in Episode 30 with Sandy Furth.
- Paying for college is tricky! Learn more about the financial aid process with Jodi Okun in Episode 20 and creative ways to pay for college with Celest Horton in Episode 16.
- For fantastic scholarship advice, be sure to listen to JR Vazquez – the College Money Man – in Episode 9.
- 3 Ways SAT & ACT Scores Can Earn You Money for College
- The Higher Scores Amazon Store: Find the books that we and our guests recommend for college admissions and test prep
“Knowing now what I’ve learned from the guests in your podcasts, we would have done things very differently in the college search process.”
“One thing that jumps out at me, and I’ve heard it from several of your guest, is start early. I wish that we had started earlier, particularly with college visits.”
“Networking is important for a high school student. Talk to people in the field you are interested in studying.”
Regarding taking a gap year: “You can work as an intern in the field you’re interested in and see if it is a good fit.”
Lightning Round Q&A
Q1: What’s your best piece of advice for families as they begin this journey?
A1: Start early and get help.
Q2: What is your favorite college admissions book, blog, or tool that no family should be without?
A2: The College Checklist Podcast
Q3: What should a family who is overwhelmed by the college admissions process focus on?
A3: If you didn’t start early, sit down as a family and agree on your priorities given the time you have remaining.
Q4: What is your all-time favorite book?
A4: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand*
*These links are affiliate links through Amazon. You will not pay extra; however, we do receive a small reimbursement if you purchase through our links. Thank you for your support of The College Checklist Podcast!
Did you enjoy this episode? Please share it with your friends!